Egal EDL-P 5030
Now something mysterious:
A certain gentleman, hiding probably under the incomplete name of M. Renato, leader of His Brazilian Orchestra, is conducting an album about which I know only what is written on the cover and labels: Nothing, except the names of the compositions and the names of the composers.
Now the detective work, or guessing, may begin:
First of all, the music sounds as music performed by professionals and conducted by renowned maestros usually sounds, which leads to the assumption (strengthened by the fact that the name of the orchestra is written in English) of a project targeting foreign public and that M. Renato is probably one of the Bob Flemings, Tito Romeros or Cid Grays.
The choice of compositions is prominent and well represents Brazilian music, appears as also aimed at audience outside of Brazil:
01. Tico-Tico No Fubá (Zequinha de Abreu)
02. Samba Fantástic (Zezinho / J. Manzon / L. Autuori)
03. Aquarela do Brasil (Ary Barroso)
04. Na Baixa do Sapateiro (Ary Barroso)
05. Não Tenho Lágrimas (Max Bulhões / M. de Oliveira)
06. Copacabana (João de Barro / Alberto Ribeiro)
07. O Barquinho (Ronaldo Bôscoli / Roberto Menescal)
09. Recado (Djalma Ferreira / Vinicius de Moraes)
10. Voсê e Eu (Сarlos Lуra / Viniсius de Moraes)
11. Samba da Minha Terra (Dorival Caymmi)
12. Oba-Lá-Lá (João Gilberto)
The essential question remains unanswered:
WHO IS M. RENATO?
Créditos: Pedro & 300discos
SHERLOCK HOLMES’ FIRST CLUES by Frank-Oliver:
The same cover was used for the LP “Conjunto Masterplay – O Balanco e a Bossa” but the track list is different. Another album by M.Renato called “Samba Exportacao” (Egal EDL-P.5.023) has the same cover as the Juarez album “Bossa Nova nos States” also on the Masterplay label, but the track list also differs. I have to check, if the recordings also came from the Juarez sessions.
SHERLOCK HOLMES’ IDENTIFICATION OF THE ORCHESTRA by Frank-Oliver:
The tracks 01-06 seem to come from the album Os Saxsambistas Brasileiros “Percussao em Festa“ for Plaza, the other tracks from the LP Os Saxsambistas Brasileiros “Bossa Nova Espetacular“ also for Plaza.
Both albums were posted at Loronix and also on Órfãos do Loronix.
DR. WATSON’S DILEMMA by Milan Filipović:
Could it be that M. Renato is one of the listed arrangers on Bossa Nova Espectacular (or both of them): José Pacheco Lins or / and Henrique Gandelman?